Saturday 3 August 2013

And... we're back!

Well, it's been a while. Nice to be back. I was just reviewing some of the things that happened during my absence.

Deanna Durbin
Deanna Durbin (1921-2013) died. Another childhood crush. She starred in 24 movies and shared the Academy Award's 1939 Juvenile Award with Mickey Rooney "for their significant contribution in bringing to the screen the spirit and personification of youth, and as juvenile players, setting high standards of ability and achievement".

Ray Harryhausen (1920-2013) died. Although he only worked on 17 movies, he was the greatest special effects man of his era.

Joyce Brothers (1927-2013) died. She was on the radio when I was in high school, dispensing psychobabble in convincing doses. Then—much to my amazement—she turned up in The Naked Gun, Loaded Weapon I, and Spy Hard.


Joyce Brothers - Loaded Weapon I (1993)


Esther Williams (1921-2013) died. Never liked her movies much. All that synchronized swimming: it never seemed real to me.

James Gandolfini (1961-2013) died. Bummer.


The Last Boyscout (1991)

True Romance (1993)
Get Shorty (1995)

The Sopranos (1999-2007)

Romance and Cigarettes (2005)
In The Loop (2009)

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3  (2009)


Cinema Verite (2011)
Dennis Farina (1944-2013) died. He was in 75 movies and TV shows after retiring from the Chicago Police Force.  I first noticed him in Midnight Run (1988), but my favorite role was in That Old Feeling (1997) with Bette Midler.

Midnight Run (1988)
Romeo is Bleeding (1993)

Get Shorty (1995)
That Old Feeling (1997)
Out of Sight (1998)
________________________________________________________________________

The book?

Yeah, the book. The title is Play the Devil, a line borrowed from the Bard.

But then I sigh; and with a piece of scripture,
Tell them that God bids us do good for evil:
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the Devil.

        ~William Shakespeare, King Richard III

The book is ready to go. I have a few things to work through with the publisher, then I'll post the details on the blog. In case you're interested.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Welcome back, Henry, we really missed you. And what a great comeback, to see those stars in their heyday.

Anne Flournoy said...

YAYYY. Missed you too. Can't wait for 'the book'!!

Henry Sheppard said...

Thanks Kathy and Anne. Nice to have been missed, and nice to be back.